Big Game Recipes for the Big Game: The Perfect Montana Chili Dog
It is almost time for one of the biggest food holidays of the year. Okay, this Sunday is not an "official" holiday. But, it ranks in the top 5 for my favorite days to chow down on some grub. Thankfully, the "holiday" follows hunting season, and there is usually a surplus of wild game in the freezer. That is why I like to utilize the wild game and incorporate it into as many dishes as I can for the upcoming game.
Today, I want to share a trick that will make you the star of your upcoming football party. Utilizing whatever wild game burger (or even classic beef burger) you have, this recipe is sure to impress.
Nothing says FOOTBALL PARTY like a Chili Cheese Dog. It follows the "KISS" strategy (Keep It Simple Stupid) of cooking. Less is sometimes more. No need to go out of your way to impress your guests. Chances are, incorporating the wild game into this classic dish will be plenty to "WOW" your guests with a Montana "delicacy."
Montana dog chili:
- Simply brown 1 pound of venison or beef burger. Drain excess fat.
- Add 1 package of chili seasoning (Check out my favorite Made in Montana chili seasoning)
- Add one 8 oz can of tomato sauce to the pan and stir.
- Add 1 tbsp of brown sugar and yellow mustard.
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Boil or grill your favorite hotdogs. (bonus if you have wild game dogs, but your average pork or beef dogs work too.)
- Steam bun (Quick 10 seconds in microwave works)
- Add 1 slice of American cheese to the bun.
- Then add the cooked hotdog.
- Top with chili
- IMPORTANT STEP: Wrap assembled chili dog in parchment or wax paper. (this allows the cheese to perfectly melt.)
- Let wrapped chili dog sit for 3-5 minutes before serving
See the video on assembly
@g_bqueChili Cheese Dogs♬ Roxanne - Instrumental - Califa Azul