Missoula, MT (KGVO-AM News) - On June 1, 2023, at approximately 5:20 p.m., Missoula Police Department Officers were dispatched to the area of the Poverello Center for a reported assault with a weapon. The officer immediately began interviewing who would later be determined to be the alleged victim, John Doe.  

The officer began speaking with Doe and visually assessed him to identify whether he had been injured. The officer noticed while checking Doe that, though he seemed to have areas of what appeared to be blood upon his front torso and pants, there were no observed wounds on his person. 

Doe explained that he did not believe he was stabbed through his skin with the knife and believed the blood to be the suspects. Doe explained that he had been kicking at the suspect while he was on the ground being attacked. He also explained that he felt the knife or similar striking him on the calf areas of the legs. 

Doe Explains How the Incident Began 

The officer asked Doe to describe how the incident started. Doe stated that earlier, near the alleyway on the east side of Hawthorne to the north of Cedar Street, he was speaking with a friend when he was approached by the suspect who engaged him in a hostile verbal conflict. The suspect male made the comment that Doe was the “next to get the knife” or something similar. 

The male briefly separated away, but then looped back at which point he pulled out a knife from around his back and began charging at Doe telling him that he was going to kill him. Doe fled on foot to the north falling to the ground in the trees and bushes near the sidewalk just north of the intersection.  

Doe described the suspect as swinging the knife at him in a clear attempt to stab him with it and vocalizing that he was going to kill him. Doe stated that he was on his back kicking at the male to fight him off. The male eventually stopped trying to stab Doe and proceeded to flee east on Pine Street. 

Officers Locate the Suspect 

At or near the same time of this interview, a bystander told an officer that he had observed the reported suspect leave the area and provided a description of the vehicle. The officer responded to the location to assist in the apprehension of the suspect. Officers began giving loud verbal commands to the suspect to show his hands and walk toward the patrol vehicle.  

According to court documents, the suspect would be later identified as 43-year-old Michael Harrison. Harrison was uncooperative with commands and was yelling at officers telling them that they should “shoot him” or “tase him” while simultaneously stripping down to his underwear. 

After a short time and several verbal commands later, Harrison somewhat complied by putting his clothes back on and getting on his knees. However, instead of putting his hands on his head as instructed, Harrison held his hands behind his head while flipping officers off with his middle fingers continuing to yell at them.  

Officers then began handcuffing him. However, Harrison was tensing his arms and flexing his entire core, making it difficult to handcuff him. While one officer held Harrison’s arms, another officer was eventually able to apply handcuffs without further incident. Harrison was then transported to the Missoula County Detention Center. 

Harrison is currently being charged with felony assault with a weapon and disorderly conduct. On June 2, 2023, Harrison made his initial appearance in Missoula Justice Court and his bond was set at $5,000. 

The information in this article was obtained from sources that are publicly viewable.

PHOTOS: Luxurious Historic Wilma Penthouse for Sale in Missoula, Montana

If you've ever wondered what the penthouse on the fourth floor of the Historic Wilma Theater looks like, here's a peek inside.

More From 93.3 Eagle Country